Whenever I meet with a new client I show them how we organize a large space by organizing a small space. This is because it’s the same process, just on a smaller scale. Often I start with a junk drawer but no matter the size of the space, as long as you are organizing physical items (not paper) the process is the same.
- Gather the contents by emptying it onto a flat surface such as a table or bed. Dust out the drawer if needed.
- Sort items by type, such as pens with pens, tools with tools, paper with paper. Don’t throw anything away until you are done. Just focus on sorting. This should take just a few minutes. Don’t skip this step. It’s the most important!
- Purge what you don’t use, need or love. Start with obvious trash and move on from there. Usable items can be donated. Loose bits of paper can be reviewed and recycled or shredded as needed.
- Decide what belongs back in the junk drawer or somewhere else in your home. Wait till you’re done before moving these items into other rooms, otherwise you’ll lose your momentum.
- Contain like items with small containers or a a drawer organizer. This will make it easy to find and return items when you’re done using them.
It’s also important to start with the right tools such as bags or boxes for the items you no longer use, need or love. Want to see how it’s done?
Check out my video.